IKM Consulting is an award-winning civil and structural engineering and environmental consultancy, and our roots stem from projects in Oil & Gas, Chemicals and Industrial Manufacturing. But did you know we are working on projects in Hydrogen, Onshore Wind Farm Cabling, Renewable Energy, Rail Decarbonisation, and also in the water industry?
We provide our clients with a complete design and consultancy service developing solutions from feasibility through to detailed design.
As a part of Global Energy Group Capital (GEG), we’re expanding our networks with offices in Grangemouth and Runcorn. Our business is growing, and we have exciting opportunities for talented individuals to join, develop and grow with IKM! We require a Senior Geotechnical Engineer for an exciting opening in our Grangemouth office.
While working for IKM you’ll have the opportunity to work on and be exposed to exciting projects and work with some accomplished colleagues. To help enhance our geotechnical offering the successful candidate will have a strong track record working within a consultancy environment and will have demonstrable experience and skills in many aspects of geotechnical engineering, underpinned by a recognisable solid understanding of geotechnical theory and principles.
The successful candidate will be engaged in the following typical activities as part of the role, plus many others.
- Lead the design and management of multi-disciplinary ground investigations for a range of clients across a variety of sectors
- Deal with common conditions of contract relating to ground investigation and professional services (ICC, NEC3, NEC4 etc.) and take a leading role to ensure that these are adhered to on projects
- Review, sort and manipulate investigation data (including AGS data) to generate geotechnical ground models
- Prepare calculations, drawings and other technical documents and ensure these are controlled during the execution of projects
- Undertake shallow and deep foundation design, including bearing capacity, settlement and pile design
- Operate geotechnical software, such as Bentley OpenGround, LimitState:GEO, Rocscience Settle 3 and Oasys PILE and ALP. AutoCAD skills are also preferable
- Draft factual reports and EC7 compliant GIR & GDR reports
- Contribute to the design of temporary works and enabling elements (e.g., temporary haul roads and working platforms)
- Design of permanent works such as mass gravity retaining walls and engineered slopes
- Take a leading role in project budgeting and report project financial performance to senior colleagues
- Co-ordinate with other IKM and external disciplines on projects
- Liaise with our multidisciplinary teams to provide our clients with a fully integrated approach to projects.
We’re looking for a candidate with the following skillset:
- Good written and spoken English
- Good verbal communication with the ability to confidently represent the IKM geotechnical team at internal and external meetings
- A solid understanding of geotechnical theory and principles
- Good base knowledge of ground investigation (GI) techniques and associated British and European Standards
- A demonstrable track record of solving geotechnical problems and producing sound geotechnical design solutions in line with Eurocode 7 and other relevant industry standards and guidance
- Prior experience writing clear and precise technical reports and be comfortable presenting findings/recommendations to technical and non-technical clients and peers
- Can work to tight timescales and manage multiple projects at once
- Full UK driving licence and the ability to attend client sites, as required.
What you bring to the role
- BEng (Hons) /BSc (Hons) in Civil Engineering or a Geotechnical/Geological Science
- An MEng/MSc in Geotechnical Engineering (or equivalent) would be considered advantageous
- Chartered membership of an appropriate professional body.
Career Development & Growth
IKM strongly believes in continued learning and career development, and you’ll have the opportunity to continue to pursue your professional interests in technical services or to extend your wings on the IKM Management Path through our bespoke Training & Competency Programme. As an Investor in People Gold business, we are committed to offering our staff enhanced career prospects.
What can we offer
- Signing Bonus
- Flexible work patterns
- Competitive Salary
- IKM Learning & Development Programme
- Option of private healthcare
- Annual Performance Bonus Scheme
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Paid Professional Membership Fee
IKM Consulting Ltd is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.