Case Study: Industrial Site.
IKM Consulting Ltd was instructed to undertake an environmental Desk Study assessment of an industrial site in Cupar, Fife.
A detailed information search and walkover of the site were undertaken to determine the following:
- Historical development of the site and surrounding area.
- Expected ground conditions, including the nature and thickness of geological deposits.
- Environmental conditions and potentially contaminative land uses including environmentally sensitive receptors.
- Hydrology, hydrogeology and flooding potential.
Information sources included:
- Landmark Envirocheck;
- Royal Commission of Ancient and Historical Monuments for Scotland Aerial Photograph Library;
- National Map Library of Scotland;
- Local Library Census Ledgers and maps; and
British Geological Survey Library.
The site was found to have had a long history of potentially contaminative land uses, including a linen works, saw mill, and gas works, as well as its current use as a vehicle repair works. A watercourse was identified to be culverted beneath the site during the site walkover.
IKM used the pictorial method, shown below, to help demonstrate the history of the site to the client.
The detailed desk top study allowed for a targeted Phase 2 site investigation in the vicinity of the former retort and condensing houses, gas tanks and sawmill.
State of the art recycling facility for Glasgow IKM...read more.
IKM Consulting sets sail for Port Edgar Marina as new...read more.
New Scots-Irish partnership targets environmental sector: IKM Consulting...read more.
IKM Consulting appointed to £7M school project: IKM Consulting, has...read more.