Case Study: Demolition and Remediation Services.
During high winds a 47m diameter turbine collapsed on the Kintyre Peninsula. IKM were appointed to provide engineering advice for the downtaking to enable an accident investigation. This was followed by investigation and remediation of the resulting oil spill on a sensitive rural site.
The project comprised:
- Supervision and safety engineering advice for the demolition and clearance of the turbine.
- Investigation and Remediation of resulting contamination.
- A validation report and preparation of a health and safety file.
Rapid response due to the sensitive nature of the surrounding natural environment.
- IKM were appointed as CDM Co-ordinator and worked closely with the demolition contractor and Scottish Power.
- The demolition was carried out in difficult environmental conditions to enable the clinical dismantling of the turbine structure and components for investigation into the cause of the failure for the HSE.
- For the remediation exercise IKM employed a swift on-site testing approach to minimise time on site and associated costs.
Certified external laboratory testing was used to validate and confirm the classification of the oil impacted material for regulatory approval prior to removal to a licensed specialist waste disposal site.
IKM were able to provide a multi-discipline, rapid response service to the client which allowed an effective resolution of a high profile incident
An IKM engineer undertook the supervision of the demolition and the site remediation was supervised by an IKM environmental scientist.
All professional advice and consultancy services were carried out in-house by IKM Consulting to assist our client to complete the project under strict time constraints.
State of the art recycling facility for Glasgow IKM...read more.
IKM Consulting sets sail for Port Edgar Marina as new...read more.
New Scots-Irish partnership targets environmental sector: IKM Consulting...read more.
IKM Consulting appointed to £7M school project: IKM Consulting, has...read more.